We've watched "Smother" in today's English Class.
Date：12th Aug 2008
Well , why I post this article in my blog ,
it's because I think I should record what I've learned from the class & the movie.
If I can keep doing this action after class ,
not only I can review it and also I can arrange for my note.
Furthermore, it's also easier for me to review it from the blog instead of a lot of disorder notes.
If I do nothing after class ,
I know it's almost impossible for me to review those notes.
Although some words & sentences which has been taught by the teacher today are easy for me ,
but the problem is ,
when I need to use those simple words or sentence ,
I usually forget how to use it !
Therefore , to start recording all these useful sentences I've learned from the class ,
maybe this can help me to have more impression on it.
Finally , I really have to say --
Liv Tyler is really beautiful !
And she also has a slender figure !
【Notes of "Smother" - by Greta】
01. Physical therapy 物理治療 ／ Physical therapist 物理治療師
02. bake the bread 烤麵包
03. My toast just popped. 麵包烤好了
04. Hi, you've reached XX & OO, leave a message at the ...
電話打到 XX & OO 的家，接通後聽到的制式電話答錄機留言。
→ reach (v) 接通了。
05. May I take a msg for you ?
06. Who's on the phone now ?
07. Hang on a second.
08. Put him／her on.
09. Ralph was on the speakerphone.
→ speakerphone (n) 喇叭、擴音器；免持聽筒
10. I hope I'm not bothering you.
11. I don't really want to intrude you.
→ intrude (n) 打擾、冒犯
12. I just stopped by to say hello to you.
→ stop by 順路性的拜訪 = visit
→ ex：Would you stop by when you are in town？
13. Come in for some coffee and we'll call around for vacancies.
→ around 周圍、附近
→ vacancie 旅館
14. You're just one germen, genius.
你只是個細菌，天才。〈How Ironic. 很諷刺〉
15. Sit tight = Sit still 坐好
16. I'm in the middle of class right now. Can we talk it later ?
17. How's it going ? ＝ Waht's up ? ＝ How are you ?
18. Yeah, it got moved up. 時間被延長／延期
→ Seminar 研討會、專題討論會
→ Meeting／Conference Room 會議室
19. avoid accountability and make a joke of everything
→ accountability (n) 負有責任；應作解釋
20. the hours are flexible and the pay's not terrible
21. Just place／put them everywhere. 哪邊都可以放置
→ ex：Where do you want this table？
＝ Where do you want to place this table？
22. Is anyone hungey？My treat.
→ hungry = starving
→ It's my treat = Be my guest. 我請客
23. May I take your order, sir？
24. Did she seem like she was high on marijuana？
→ marijuana (n) 大麻
25. Drug abuse 毒品濫用
26. Normally black movies don't hold my attention.
→ black movie 黑白電影
→ hold my attention = draw my attention
27. That's provoking [口語] = That's exciting
28. Don't bet on it.
29. I hope I'm not putting you out.
30. Right on.
→ Go for it ! 加油
→ Well done. 做的好
31. I use it to scare people like you if sneak up on me.
→ sneak up on me 打我的小報告
32. You can tell me what's going on with you and dad？
→ you can tell 你知道的、你可以分辨的
→ ex：You can tell a Christian.
→ ex：I can tell you are from Taiwan. 我知道你是台灣人
→ you can never tell (ph) 誰都說不準
33. I think your father's having an affair.
→ have an affair 有外遇
34. I confronted him and he lied to me.
→ confront (v) 坦誠面對；對質 (+with)
→ ex：confront a prisoner with a witness 使囚犯與證人對質
35. I'm too worked up now. 我今天操過頭了！
36. You're telling me. 你說對了
A：The movie is so boring.
B：You're telling me.
35. It's occupied.
36. They'll be here in any second.
37. I'll take a rain check. 我要改期
→ rain check (ph) 延期、改期
→ ex：I can't make it to dinner tonight; but can I take a rain check？
38. Would you focus？
39. Did you set your alarm (clock) for work tomorrow？
40. I'm not spy on him. 我不是在刺探他
41. You always stir things up. 你總是把事情搞砸
→ stir things up 把事情搞砸
＝ mess up；screw up (ph)
42. Rolled the window up／down.
43. That's really impressive. 那真是讓人印象深刻
44. Stop put the pressure on me. 不要再給我壓力了
45. That was the word from heart. 肺腑之言
46. ONS = one night stand ㄧ夜情